First time visiting the North Country Climbing Center (N3C)? Awesome! Here’s some information to help you out. In addition to the information on this page, check out our Climbing Basics page to learn some climbing basics.
Visitor and Liability Release Agreement
Please write legibly! We actually do read and transcribe all the information from the form into our customer database.
Also, note that the signature space is on the second page.
What to Expect
- GETTING HERE: To get to N3C, use the main Evergreen entrance and follow signs back past the party rooms, racquetball court, spinning room, and gymnastics studio. Although the access hallway can be chilly, we keep the climbing gym a nice, comfortable temperature.
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: As noted above, the first step is filling out and signing a N3C waiver.
- GREETING AND PURCHASE: When you arrive at N3C’s front desk, you’ll be greeted by one of our friendly and knowledgeable staff members, who will review options with you and process your purchase.
- RENTAL GEAR: If you need rental gear, we will help size you for your climbing shoes and/or climbing harness. It may take a few tries to find shoes that fit your feet well.
- ORIENTATION: Before you start climbing, an N3C staff member will give you an orientation to the gym. This usually takes about 5 minutes and includes an introduction to the different areas of the gym, the different types of climbing available here, and our policies. Our staff is really knowledgeable, so please use this time to pick our brains and ask any questions you have.
- YOUR ADVENTURE BEGINS: After the orientation, your N3C adventure begins!
Options for Beginners
At N3C we strive to make climbing fun and affordable to all climbers, and since our clients have such varied backgrounds and abilities, we offer a range of different choices. This range of choices can seem daunting, but it’s actually pretty simple. There are three options for beginning climbers:
N3C’s Learn to Belay Package
Description: This package includes everything you need to start climbing: a day pass to N3C, full rental gear, and an introduction to climbing lesson. During the belay lesson, you learn the basics of top-rope climbing: how to tie into the rope, how to belay, how to communicate effectively using standard commands and responses, and the basics of climbing movement.
Pricing: $45 for adults and $40 for students and military.
Timing: Learn to belay lessons take between 1 and 2 hours. Schedule online here or contact us to schedule a lesson (603.838.5300, email us at [email protected], or message us on Facebook). After the lesson, you can continue climbing until we close.
Best for… People who want to learn a life-long skill. This package is centered around a lesson with the goal of ensuring that you can come back later to climb without an instructor. It is also a great option for parents who want to learn how to belay their children.
N3C’s Open Climb Package
Description: This includes everything you need for a great time climbing: a day pass, full climbing gear rental, and skilled N3C staff provide belays until you and/or your kids can’t lift your arms.
Pricing: $40 for adults, $35 for students and military, $25 for kids 5 to 10, $10 for kids 4 and under.
Timing: We generally offer Open Climbs whenever we are open. It’s not a bad idea to contact us before your visit to make sure that we are appropriately staffed for your needs (especially if you’re bringing a large family or group!).
Best for… People who just want to climb! Families love this option because they can all get as much climbing as they want.
Bouldering / Auto-Belays Only
Description: A different option is to just get a day pass and climb by yourself in our bouldering area and on our auto-belays. Bouldering is climbing on shorter walls (up to 14 feet high) with a thickly padded floor but no ropes. Although many new climbers find this to be counterintuitive, bouldering is often more physically demanding than roped climbing, so it’s not necessarily the best type of climbing for beginners.
Pricing: Day Pass is $18 for adults, $15 for students and military, $12 for kids 5 to 10, free for kids 4 and under. Rental gear (shoes, harness, and chalk) is additional. See Pricing page for details.
Timing: Come in anytime we are open for as long or as short as you want!
Best for… People who are short on time or just don’t like the idea of ropes.